You are here: Home / About Us / Fields of activity / Canada / Saint Roch sur Richelieu

Saint Roch sur Richelieu


Located on the north shore of the Richelieu River, this town is across the river from St. Ours. Its north east neighbour is Tracy, its south west neighbours St. Antoine and Contrecoeur.

In early 1887, Father Maxime Decelles, parish priest who would later become a bishop of St. Hyacinthe, with the support of the school board, decided to build a convent in the parish. After several months of work, a staunch three-story brick building with a finished basement was ready for the children of the parish. With the approval of the Bishop Louis-Zéphirin Moreau, the school board members decided to entrust their new convent to the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Saint Hyacinthe congregation which had been in existence for only ten years.

Sister du Sacre Coeur (Alphonsine Perron)
Sister Marie de l'Enfant Jesus (Graziella Dansereau)
Sister Stanislas Kostka (Emma Benoît)
Sister St. Louis de Gonzague (Élise Blanchette)

A farewell celebration, organized for the sisters by the parishioners, took place on June 10, 2000. The two sisters still in St. Roch at that time left the parish on June 29. There had been sisters working in the parish for 112 years. With the departure of the sisters, a page of the parish's history was turned.>

Go back to last page